The majority of funds raised by the DHS-MPA is earned by the volunteers who prepare and sell food in concession stands at the Kottmeyer Football Stadium and DiSerafino Soccer Stadium, which are both located adjacent to Downingtown West High School. All proceeds earned at the stands are used by DHS-MPA to help provide the funding for the support of all music programs at Downingtown East, Downingtown West and STEM, bands, orchestras and choirs.
The stands are typically open for all East and West home football and soccer games. In addition, we open for special events such as the “Music in Motion” band competition and the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life event. We are always looking for volunteers to help out, not only for working at the events, but also with the day-to-day operation of the stands. The day-to-day operation includes shopping for food and other supplies and general maintenance of the stands. No experience is needed, and this volunteer opportunity is a great way to meet other music parents while supporting the kids.
MPA Concession Stand Volunteer Guide (September 2017)
- Sign-up by selecting the ‘CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP’ link for the iVolunteer site from the Volunteer Sign-up page or by sending an e-mail to Concessions@gmail.com
- The concession stands are located at Kottmeyer Stadium at Downingtown West High School.
- Come to the Home stand first (the one closest to Manor Ave. / Rt. 322). It’s the small building to the right of the entrance to Kottmeyer Stadium.
- Tell the parking attendant you’re working at the concession stand and they’ll allow you to park in the lot behind the stand (space permitting).
- Football: For 7 pm start times, operations are usually done around 10pm.
- Soccer/Lacrosse: For 7 pm start times, operations are usually done around 9 pm.
- What to bring and what to wear:
- Bring a hat.
- Wear easily washable clothing that you don’t mind having spills or stains on.
- For safety and health reasons, open-toe shoes are not permitted in the concession stand and long hair must be pulled back or under a hat. If you will be working in the food preparation area, long pants are strongly suggested. If you are working as a server, you will need a sweatshirt / jacket as it gets colder.
- Arrival times:
- Football: Most games begin at 7 pm. Please arrive between 5 and 6pm. If that is too early for you, we still want you to volunteer. Please indicate when you will arrive in the comment section when you volunteer on I Volunteer sign up link.
- Soccer: Most games begin at 5:30 pm (JV) and 7 pm (Varsity). Arrive by 5 pm.
- Breaks/Meals: Volunteers who work the concession stand for an entire game are welcome to a complimentary hot dog or burger and a soda.
- NHS Credit and Graduation Projects: High school students are permitted to help in the concession stands and can earn credit for National Honor Society service hours, Graduation Projects, and CAS. For safety reasons, students under the age of 18 cannot work in the food preparation areas.
- Cancellations and Illness: If you are feeling ill, have a fever, diarrhea, or are vomiting please STAY HOME. Your well being and the well being of our customers is our first priority. If you find that you can’t work the stand and you need to cancel, please contact email@example.com as far in advance as possible.
Interested in helping out, and becoming a Food Handler? Please visit the Chester County Health Departments website for class information: http://dsf.chesco.org/health/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=639810. An online course is also available at: http://www.tapseries.com/fs_detail.asp?try=Cookie
If you are interested in more information on the Food Handler course, helping out with the daily operations of the stand, or have any other questions, please contact Neil Johnson at: firstname.lastname@example.org